Wednesday, August 26, 2015

"Klimt"

6 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


Choosing a favorite painter for the letter K for my series ArtistZ was tough - I love Frida Kahlo, Wolf Kahn, Kandinsky, Klee, Franz Kline.  But there's something about Gustav Klimt's works that blows my mind.

The famous portrait of Klimt's close friend and patron 'Adele Bloch-Bauer' (also known as 'The Woman in Gold') took 3 years to complete in 1907.   There's a current movie titled Woman in Gold about the true story of Maria Altmann, the niece of Adele Bloch-Bauer, who fought to reclaim the ownership of the painting that was stolen by the Nazis during the invasion of Vienna.  A remarkable story.

The painting is a collage of oils and gold-leaf applications and I played with a metallic copper ground color and mixtures of gold and copper oils to bring out the effect.  You can see little bits of the ground color shimmering throughout my painting - a bit hard to see in the image above. 


3 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Karin, this is awesome.
The movie was fascinating, as well.

Gayle said...

This is such an amazing series - I just finished reading the book, so was thrilled to see your choice for the letter "K" - good call!!

Terri Buchholz said...

Love Klimt and love this one of Adele perhaps the most. In fact I treated myself to the Barbie Doll a couple of years ago! Your take on it is fantastic.